Wednesday, May 17, 2006

This is one of those days I should be scribbling on scraps of paper and talking out loud to myself, but instead, I am choosing to post my insanity for all the world (est. pop. 5) to see.

I've mentioned before that this story is based on a book that has enjoyed/suffered many variations and adaptations. The story I am trying to finish is yet another, but it's mine and I'm excited about it. I've made many changes to the characters and to the way the story is told (for legal purposes and to save money at the library copy machine).

One major change is that Parker's original character accidentally kills another character near the beginning of the original story. The Parker character is extremely sorry about this person's death, but, really, she says, that's the least of her worries. Now, a colleague (competitor?) of the dead person shows up and Parker again apologizes for the mishap, but says again "not my problem, I need to get out of here."

Alright, the colleague is being represented in my version by Parker's aunt Magnificent. The Magnificent in the original story shows up to the scene and gives the Parker character something that belonged to the dead person and the something is highly valuable to yet another colleague who, upon hearing this, is fucking angry about it. And the pissed off character is now coming after Parker. So the Magnificent character gives the Parker character a kiss of protection that will keep her from harm as she's trying to get where she's going. And off she goes, in harm's way, but protected.

Problem: I decided to eliminate the accidental death. And somewhere in there, I forgot to create a conflict that would make sense of Magnificent's need to protect Stillwater and Parker before they head out to Castle Rock.

See, this is what happens when visitors find your draft on your blog and they actually read it. And take notes. And email you a copy of the notes. They have questions. And concerns. And guess what. My work has plot holes. My work is filled with non sequitur (I had to look that one up, too).

Somewhere at some point while Parker is drinking herself into Stillwater's lap the first night they meet, something needs to be said. What is she running from (is she running?) or how exactly has losing her linchpin turned her life upside down? I know that when my life was turned upside down, the first thing to disappear was the possibility of my driving a luxury SUV across the country. What the hell is going on with Parker that got her hooked up with Stillwater at that shop?

This is one of those forehead-to-keyboard days, but I must admit: constructive criticism and critical thinking are wonderful concepts. They carry no hurt that a new pair of jeans can't heal. And some sparkly sandals. Oh, and the pedicure. Never deny your toenails a shiny coat of summer pink when starting over on the story draft.

2 comments:

Flood said...

It's shitty when you think you have to start over. Do you think that's the only option? Drafts are supposed to be fraught with errors, holes, contradictions. If they weren't, you'd be some kind of miracle writer and I would hate you.

Is there any way you can keep going from where you are now and go back and fix things all at once when the skeleton of the story is finished? Maybe the future writing will make everything click in your head for the beginning. Just cause the answers aren't there right now doesn't mean need to be there right now. It does mean that feedback is going to be more difficult to come by, because of holes, but maybe first drafts are not for feedback, anyway.

(I know I am wordy and made this point 15 times already. Maybe once I'll say what I mean properly)

fringes said...

If I don't start over, what excuse will I use to soothe myself with a new pair of sparkly sandals?

Seriously: I'm not starting completely over, Flood, but thanks for the encouragement. I think since I am at a crossroads, a good stopping point, I will fill in some holes while mapping out the road trip.

I think having Charlie Kaufman Day yesterday was a bad idea. He's soooo awesome, it was hard for me to get back to my own work. New rule: No more writing god days until after the first draft is complete.