Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Not getting too bogged down in details in the first draft. That's what subsequent drafts are for, I've learned. I have no idea where these people live. Naming the city would prompt a need for research. I don't mind researching, but then the story doesn't get written. So I'm leaving clues in the first draft narrative telling me where one character may live in relation to another character. I can fill in the gaps later.

When I was in college, I wrote a story with the main character having leukemia. I learned more about the disease in the medical library than a med student, I think. All my learnin' was summed up in the one scene in which the doctor explained to the character's boyfriend about her chances of remission or something like that. Which, I don't know, may be negligible for certain types. I barely remember the story, only the research, and I doubt if I finished it.

So it's been my evermore habit to get the words down, finish telling the story, then fill in the details of the things I know very little about. No more characters with cancer, that's for sure.

Did you know that Kansas City, Kansas, is very near the center of the contiguous United States? And that Castle Rock, South Dakota, is nearest the center of all 50 states? I found that out today while figuring out where in the world are Stillwater and Parker driving in my current frag. Looks like they are headed to Kansas City. I heard there's some good barbeque there. But, I am from Texas--home of the beef chicken wing--so I doubt it's as good as people say.

No comments: